Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The Other March Madness

NCAA basketball's March Madness is in full swing this week with conference tourneys being played and the field of 68 being announced on Sunday and I am caught up in all its glory - I love college basketball! However, on Wednesday night, I opened our little rural newspaper and to my shock and surprise, the other March Madness had begun, too - a garage sale was listed for Thursday!  With an unseasonably warm winter in Missouri and current spring-like conditions, listings I don't usually find until late March at the earliest were already popping up. Oh, hooray! Here is what I brought home with me...



The Afga Silette 35 mm camera is marked "Made in Germany" and came with the original camera case and directions - I don't collect any cameras, really, other than Kodak so I am considering selling this one although it is pretty cool. I paid $1 for it - I think it is from 1953. The Kodak Generator Flashholder is probably a keeper. It is in the original box and has the directions with it as well. It, too, was only $1 and is from 1958 - the only bummer is that the sellers put the price on the top of the box with masking tape and when I try to remove it, it rips up some of the graphics. Why do people do that?! The industrial lamp and a bag of vintage frames/photographer's cardboard photo holders were a quarter a piece - I think the photo holders will be fun to use in some art projects - my favorite is the one with the stork on it used for a baby's picture. The hobnail vase marked "Japan" was a nickle.  And I picked up the Equipto industrial bench for $3 - I haven't figured out what to do with it yet. Any suggestions?

After the sale, I went to a thrift store in the same town. I always find something there and Thursday was no exception. One of the best finds was this 1970's Lucite (or acrylic) 2-tier waterfall chandelier.


I researched some on the internet and the asking price for these is between $200 to $800! Wow - score! I have already listed this in my eBay store and hopefully it will find a good home soon.

I also picked up these vintage airline bags at the thrift store for $1 each. I have been looking for some for quite awhile and these were hidden under some other stuff just waiting for me to discover them. I am thinking of selling them but I may have to keep one for myself. The KLM bag has a luggage tag on it with a Braniff Airlines business card in it. Braniff has been defunct since 1989 (I was actually scheduled to fly with them from San Diego on the day the declared bankruptcy) so I am guessing this bag is from the 1970's or possibly early 1980's. I love the offset stripe on the American World Travel bag - very mod - I am guessing it is 1970's vintage, too. 



I have been picking up a lot of books lately. I plan on sharing some of those finds in another post but this diet book is one of the more interesting ones I got at the same thrift store. Now, this is a diet plan I can get on board with following - how could you possibly go wrong with martini's and whipped cream?! Drunk and a sugar high - who's with me? I also bought the chenille bedspread at the garage sale for $5. It has been gently loved but it doesn't have any holes or stains and all the fringe is still attached so it definitely has plenty of life left in it.

So, how has your late winter/early spring thrifting been? Have you found any treasures? Here we go... let the madness begin!

Linking up to Apron Thrift Girl's Thrift Share Monday. Check out what everyone else is finding!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, you had some amazing finds this week! I especially love that chandelier (wow!) and the bench. If you haven't already ripped the masking tape off your Kodak box, try using a hair dryer on it. Sometimes the heat will loosen the glue enough that stickers and tape will come off without damaging anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have that same desk lamp.My husband calls it the Interrogation POW light,lol.It is bright-I had to move it from my desk, but it makes a great light for taking pictures.Martinis and whipped cream-why didn't I think if that,lol?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! I remember the carbo-cal diet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post title is so funny! I had the same thought - my March madness has nothing to do with organized sports. Although I do feel yard saling is a major competition.

    ReplyDelete