Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Thrift Share Monday, Ummm... I Mean Wednesday

Is it Wednesday already? I had good intentions of getting my thrift and junking finds ready for Thrift Share Monday but alas, good intentions were pushed off the cliff and we landed on Wednesday. Oh well. I had a tremendous week of treasure hunting last week. It actually started on Monday when I went into the town of Warsaw, Missouri to go to Wal-Mart. I try to plan all of my shopping trips around thrift stores, antique shops, and flea markets - especially with the price of gas right now, we must be strategic shoppers!

I stopped at the Warsaw Antique Mall and here's what I walked out with: a 1988 Fisher Price Illuminated Globe for $10 (I have a thing for globes - you'll see), two vintage photo albums - one tooled leather unused and the other leather with a handpainted Indian with old photos and postcards inside ($5 and $10), a Texas Ware sugar bowl, and a 1982 linen calendar towel (both going to my eBay store) plus some Avon because for whatever reason, all the antique stores around here have at least one booth with Avon. On a whim, I decided to stop at the W.A.R.M. House Thrift Store on my way to Wally World and bonus, everything in the store that day was 10 cents. I got 10 plates - 8 souvenir, 8 plate stands (only because the lady told me that if I was going to take the plates for 10 cents I had to take the stands for 10 cents, too), a vintage hankie, and two vintage mugs.  It was a good day.

On Tuesday, I went to Columbia, Missouri to have my Honda Ridgeline serviced - I am pretty sure they put those maintenance reminders on there so you will spend more at the Honda dealer! The best part is the dealer is across the street from Itchy's Flea Market (no joke but clever) so you know where I am headed while they change the oil. I spent $25 there and here's what I got: an Ohio Art metal globe for $5 (I told you about the globes), 5 souvenir plates (I'm keeping Montana and Kansas City), 2 vintage calendars from 1966 and 1968, 4 postcards from 1909-1913, a photo postcard of Greta Almroth (love it), a Maryland crab bell, a Silver Dollar City spoon rest, a Haegar flower pot (another one of my collections), and a Pyrex bowl in the Terra pattern (first I had seen of this pattern but I will see more... you'll see more too).

With Friday being the first Friday of the month, I headed into Kansas City. I stopped first at Urban Mining where I bought too much and probably spent too much but it was oh so fun. They boxed up for me 4 orange wooden 70's candles, a mod flower cassette case, a metal rolling pin, a 1970 Springbok Heidi Doll Craft Kit (hmmmm... do I know someone named Heidi?), a Las Vegas metal tray, a 1968 Prague book with fold-out map (love the graphics), a vintage Montana fruit label, an "our pet" flash card, a blue fish dresser scarf or runner, 3 Pyrex bowls in the Terra pattern (twice in a week - could it get any better?), and my favorite find there, a vintage, chippy black concrete bear - perfect mod lodge vintage.

Next, I drove over to the West Bottoms where several places have first Friday sales. I started at Liberty Belle since it was closest to where I parked. I picked up four unused 4 piece place settings of Orchard Ware Americana pattern (Made in California) for $20. I didn't know anything about this pattern but after doing some investigating on Replacements, Ltd., I found out this was discontinued in the 1940's and their price for a bread and butter plate is $9.99 each and the cup & saucers are fetching $13.99 each so I felt pretty good about my purchase. It will mix nicely with my black and white plaid Homer Laughlin DuraPrint and Knowles Ebonette dishes both of which are square in shape, too. I also picked up this Fabulous Fondues book for 25 cents, an oil painting of a mountain scene for $2, and a record album set for $1.

When I went out the door to put my treasures in the truck, it was pouring down rain. I had some other errands I needed to do in KC and the rain wasn't conducive to walking from place to place so that ended my junking for the day. All in all, it was a great week, though. Lots of goodies and lots of fun. What have you been up to lately?

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Stunning finds...and 10c, for EVERYTHING? How fun that would be! I felt good the other day buying a KY state plate for $1. :) I love the photo books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Further proof that car repairs and thrift shops should go hand in hand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm interested in the Springbok Heidi kit. Is it for sale?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fran: I am interested in selling the Springbok Heidi kit. I was going to list it on eBay but if you are still interested in it, send me an email at ritter4mizzou@yahoo.com and we can work something out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete